Skip to main content

Barrie mayor says protecting confidential information 'paramount' after leak from previous councillor

Share

Barrie councillors are taking a stand towards protecting confidential information as details have come to light suggesting a past councillor did just the opposite.

On Wednesday, councillors passed a motion directing the city clerk to develop additional protocols for councillors when they handle any confidential information. The motion went to stress how seriously the current council takes these expectations.

The motion came to light during a city council sitting Wednesday evening after a lengthy in-camera general committee meeting earlier in the day. Council has received a report from the Integrity Commissioner dated Jan. 5, 2024, apparently related to the release of confidential information by a member of the previous term of council.

The name of the previous councillor was not disclosed.

The motion directs that the report be released to the public on Mar. 4, allowing time for all parties to prepare.

Speaking to CTV News, Mayor Alex Nuttall said that the City of Barrie considers confidentiality to be 'paramount.' He did not indicate what confidential material was released, saying those questions could be directed towards the City's communications team once the report is released on Mar. 4.

There was no further discussion surrounding the motion after it was passed.

The City's Integrity Commissioner has held the position since Feb. 2014 and ensures ethical standards aren't violated. They are empowered through the Ontario Municipal Act and the Municipal Conflict of Interests Act.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

Israel's War Cabinet convenes to determine next steps after Iran attack

Iran’s unprecedented attack on Israel early Sunday marked a change in approach for Tehran, which had relied on proxies across the Middle East since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October. All eyes are now on whether Israel chooses to take further military action, while Washington seeks diplomatic measures instead to ease regional tensions.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Stay Connected