Skip to main content

Trial for dump truck driver accused of causing deadly collision in Severn Township begins

Share

The trial of a Victoria Harbour man accused of causing a collision that ended the life of 60-year-old John Bull got underway Wednesday with photo evidence presented to the court.

An OPP forensics expert testified about what he saw upon arriving at the scene on February 5, 2021, after a dump truck driven by Vincent Vallee was involved in a collision with Bull's vehicle in Severn Township.

Police say Vallee's empty dump truck crossed the centreline into oncoming traffic, colliding with the GMC Jimmy driven by Bull, which sent it into a ditch along Quarry Road near St. Amant Road.

Bull died at the scene.

On Wednesday, the court was shown hundreds of photos of the crash scene, as the officer described one image showing the apparent damage of the dump truck toward its rear tire area and a build-up of snow inside the wheel. The officer said there were folds inside the rim.

Justice Susan Healey heard arguments from the defence that Vallee's charter rights were violated when he felt compelled to tell police what happened after the crash, claiming his client wasn't informed of his right to seek legal advice before giving officers a written statement.

The Barrie judge is expected to make her ruling on the issue Thursday.

Earlier this week, Bull's family was at the courthouse and told CTV News he was a loving husband, father, grandfather, and well-respected businessman. Bull operated A/C Plus Automotive in Severn Township until his death.

The allegations against Vallee have not been proven in court.

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Here's what to expect in the 2024 federal budget

Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland will be presenting the 2024 federal budget on Tuesday, revealing how the federal Liberal government intends to balance the nearly $40 billion in pre-announced new spending with her vow to remain fiscally prudent.

Prince Harry in legal setback about security protection in U.K.

Prince Harry's fight for police protection in the U.K. received another setback on Monday, when a judge rejected his request to appeal an earlier ruling upholding a government panel's decision to limit his access to publicly funded security after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.

Israel's War Cabinet convenes to determine next steps after Iran attack

Iran’s unprecedented attack on Israel early Sunday marked a change in approach for Tehran, which had relied on proxies across the Middle East since the start of the Israel-Hamas war in October. All eyes are now on whether Israel chooses to take further military action, while Washington seeks diplomatic measures instead to ease regional tensions.

A look inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive

The National Capital Commission is providing a glimpse inside the gutted 24 Sussex Drive, more than a year after the heritage building along the Ottawa River was closed.

Stay Connected