Skip to main content

Here's where new photo radar cameras will be activated this week in Barrie

Share

Photo radar cameras will be up and running in Barrie this week to crack down on motorists exceeding speed limits in select community safety zones.

The City says the 'coming soon' signs to alert motorists about the speed cameras had been in place for 90 days and would now be removed as the cameras are activated.

The City installed two cameras that will be rotated every few months to areas where drivers are "regularly going over the posted limit."

The initial locations include Big Bay Point Road near Willow Landing and Saint Michael the Archangel Catholic elementary schools and on Anne Street North near Portage View Public School and École secondaire catholique Nouvelle-Alliance.

"The safety of our residents, especially our children, is of utmost importance," said Mayor Alex Nuttall. "These cameras will serve as a crucial tool in deterring speeding and ensuring the well-being of pedestrians and cyclists. By embracing this technology, we are taking a proactive step towards creating safer streets, a secure environment, and promoting responsible driving habits in Barrie."

Those captured on the radar cameras exceeding the speed limit will receive a ticket in the mail to the registered plate holder within 30 days.

The City says the automated speed enforcement cameras are "just as accurate as detecting speed as traditional speed measurement devices used by police."

CTVNews.ca Top Stories

Michigan primary: What to watch as 2024 campaign shifts to the first big swing state

Michigan's presidential primary on Tuesday will offer a serious test of U.S. President Joe Biden's ability to navigate dissent within the Democratic Party over his response to Israel's war with Hamas. The leading Republican in the White House race, former president Donald Trump, is looking for another primary win that would add to his sweep of the early-voting states and move him that much closer to becoming his party's nominee.

9 suspects face charges after Quebec organized crime operation

Nine people appeared in court in Quebec City on Saturday as part of a major operation by the Sûreté du Québec to investigate violent conflicts between independent drug dealers and a group of outlaw motorcycle gangs in the east of the province.

Stay Connected