Minden asks to be declared disaster area
The only downtown bridge in Minden has re-opened, but the Township of Minden Hills is asking Ontario to declare the town a disaster area.
"Not having it divides us into two little towns," resident Art Austin says. "That's no good for anybody."
Water levels along the Gull River in Minden remain high and the town is still under a state of emergency Thursday.
While residents say life is getting back to normal, sandbags still remain at some properties.
Most stores, however, are expected to reopen by the weekend.
Minden Reeve Barb Reid says the town tallied damage to businesses and residential properties at more than $4 million. It needs to submit the estimate to the province to apply for relief funding.
Of the funding, Reid says, "It means all of the costs associated with the state of emergency so far, which is all of our staff overtime, sandbags, sand, the Red Cross, all of the people who have needed to be brought in to help us."
Even with the bridge open, Reid says water levels likely won’t drop back to normal for at least another week.
Bracebridge seeks aid
The Town of Bracebridge is also applying for money from the province in the wake of the floods.
The damage there is estimated at close to $1 million. Several roads were under water. Homes and businesses suffered significant damage.
Residents affected by the flooding are being asked to complete a private property damage assessment form, which can be found on the town’s website, and at the municipal office, Sportsplex and library.
The deadline to return completed forms is May 23.