Gas smell causes Kozlov Centre evacuation
In Barrie today five people were taken to hospital, and two were still being checked out late this afternoon after a gas smell cleared out the lower level of the Kozlov Centre.
Emergency crews were first called to a suspected gas leak just before 11 a.m. Aug. 13, 2013. A number of people were complaining of feeling ill because of a gas-like smell.
About 150 people had to leave the building. Many with symptoms were treated at the scene by paramedics but five people were taken to hospital as a precaution.
The source of the smell was confirmed to be the gas powered saws being used upstairs by construction workers. Fire crews vented out the building and after a couple of hours, everyone was allowed back in.