A judge has ruled Andrew Keene will not be eligible for parole for 17 years after he was found guilty of second-degree murder and the dismemberment of Alexandra Flanagan.

The sentencing came down Thursday afternoon in a Barrie courtroom.

“We’re very happy. It couldn’t have gone better,’ said Alexandra’s mother Wendy Flanagan outside of the courthouse. “It hasn’t hit home, it’s kind of…I guess it will take a few days for us to really sink in for all of us.”

A jury found Keene, 34, guilty of second-degree murder last month and guilty of committing an indignity to a human body. He was sentenced to 25 years in jail and cannot apply for parole for 17 years.

Keene has already spent four years in custody since his arrest in 2011, that time accounts towards his time served meaning he isn't elgible for parole until 2028.

While second degree murder carries an automatic life sentence, a judge can allow parole eligibility anywhere between 10 and 25 years.

The Crown had been asking for 20 years before Keene was eligible for parole, the defence wanted between 12 and 15 years.

The judge said Keene’s character was taken into account and that he had no previous criminal record.

“The eligibility was perhaps set a little higher than I expected but that’s not up to me,” said Keene’s lawyer Mitch Eisen.

Flanagan disappeared in July of 2007 – some of her remains were discovered in Lackie’s Bush in Barrie that same year. Investigators discovered more of her remains in the months that followed in other locations in Barrie.

During the lengthy investigation, police found a blood stain belonging to Flanagan inside a hockey bag in Keene’s apartment.

Keene unknowingly told undercover police officers how he killed Flanagan and where more of her remains were buried.

Wendy Flanagan says it’s been a long haul to get to this point and she is thinking of her daughter.

“I’m sure if Alex is up there somewhere she’s smiling down today and she is very happy,” adds Flanagan

Keene will now be shipped back to the super jail in Penetanguishene and then transferred to a federal facility in Kingston in about six weeks.

Keene has one month to decide if he wants to appeal.